The Phoenix Playhouse was also known as the Cockpit in Drury Lane. It was first used for bloodsport and managed by John Best in 1609. It was bought by Christopher Beeston and refitted for playing in 1616. A fire gutted the structure in 1617 and it was redesigned by Inigo Jones for theatrical performances and christened The Phoenix because it had risen after the afore-mentioned fire. A structure some 52 ft by 37 ft, it was a small, intimate playhouse whose function as a theatre actually survived the English Civil War of 1642-1649 and the Interregnum, possibly because of its dual use for cockfighting and playing (which was banned in 1642 by an act of the Puriatn-controlled Parliament). It was one of the first sites of performance activities after the Restoration in 1660. Troupes which performed at various times at the Phoenix playhouse include Queen Anne's Men (1617-1619), Prince Charles' Men (1619-1622), Lady Elizabeth's Men (1622-1624), Queen Henrietta's Men (1625-1636), The King and Queen's Young Company managed by William Davenant in 1639 and then various companies between 1660 and 1665.
The Inigo Jones design for a Cockpit-style playhouse of 1617 is shown below.
FOR FULL SCREEN PANORAMAS, CLICK ONE OF THE BELOW TITLES. PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE THE PANORAMAS LOAD! THANKS!
Phoenix Playhouse Panorama One
Phoenix Playhouse Panorama Two-Stage Box View
Phoenix Playhouse Panorama Three-On Stage View